While searching for a RoR-based CMS I looked at it a few others:
- Development has dried up due to the developers not having the time to continue it.
- No support for snippets (see below).
- Development seems to have dried up, the last messages on the blog were from 2006 and talked about a complete rewrite, which is usually a bad sign IMHO.
Some of the benefits that got me hooked on Radiant include:
- snippets (keep your content DRY),
- separate layouts vs content,
- layouts support custom mimetypes (ensure your RSS feeds get the right content type),
- the ability to structure the pages in a heirarchy,
- a set of custom tags for manipulating the content,
- built-in support for textile.
- Some existing plugins that make life evey easier, specifically Google Analytics and Virtual Domains (multiple sites from one install!).
The few limitations I see are:
- the plugin system needs to be improved to make extending the pages list easier,
- the blog-like functionality needs improving,
- some of the documentation needs work.
I've already used it on one site and am working to move all of our more static sites over to it - the less static ones will have to wait until I write a few plugins.