After having problems yesterday getting Crossover Mac to work, today I took a more rigid approach to installing it and it works! Here are the exact steps I took:
- Create new bottle.
- Install Crossover HTML components.
- Install IE6.
- Started IE and verified that I could view web pages (google).
- At this point I made a backup of the bottle directory from
- Installed Office 2003, selecting only Outlook and customizing some of the installation options.
- At this point I made another backup of the bottle directory.
- Started Outlook.
- Continued through the initial configuration to connect to the Exchange server.
- Verified that I could open different types of messages, specifically both plain text and HTML.
At this point it was all pretty good now, with some minor issues:
- It takes several seconds to for a HTML email to display (on a 2x2ghz Mac Pro!).
- The message list does not refresh properly when a message is removed from the list.
I can live with those two issues, now that I have an apparently fully working install of Outlook, which is what I was after.
So, while I was initially frustrated with Crossover Mac, it does seem to be worth it, if you can spend the time getting your specific software to work correctly.