After having problems yesterday getting Crossover Mac to work, today I took a more rigid approach to installing it and it works! Here are the exact steps I took:
- Create new bottle.
- Install Crossover HTML components.
- Install IE6.
- Started IE and verified that I could view web pages (google).
- At this point I made a backup of the bottle directory from
- Installed Office 2003, selecting only Outlook and customizing some of the installation options.
- At this point I made another backup of the bottle directory.
- Started Outlook.
- Continued through the initial configuration to connect to the Exchange server.
- Verified that I could open different types of messages, specifically both plain text and HTML.
At this point it was all pretty good now, with some minor issues:
- It takes several seconds to for a HTML email to display (on a 2x2ghz Mac Pro!).
- The message list does not refresh properly when a message is removed from the list.
I can live with those two issues, now that I have an apparently fully working install of Outlook, which is what I was after.
So, while I was initially frustrated with Crossover Mac, it does seem to be worth it, if you can spend the time getting your specific software to work correctly.
NeoOffice 2.1, the latest release of the Mac OSX port of OpenOffice.org, is one of the first non-Microsoft applications on the market that can read & write the new Open XML format as used in Microsoft's Office 2007. Excellent news for all Mac fans in the audience.
I just installed the OSX 10.4.9 update on our PowerMac G4/533 at home and had a little bit of weirdness. The first time the machine was rebooted after the install it took several minutes for it to actually start booting, leaving the screen white until it was ready - needless to say this was rather concerning, but I left it alone for a while and it finally kicked in a-ok. The Mac Pro at work had no problems, however.
Today I had a problem where my FTP client of choice, Panic Software's Transmit, where I changed the server software and any time thereafter SSH connections gave a "Permission Denied" error. As it turned out the problem wasn't permissions but rather the server's SSH identity changed and Transmit was getting confused. A little looking around didn't turn up anything obvious - there was no preferences option to force it to re-validate the identity, it just kept failing. So on the off-chance I took a look at the file
~/.ssh/known_hosts and sure enough there was an entry for the server - I removed the server's line, re-connected and it worked again! Now to submit a feature request...